…More Than 25 Years’ Experience Helping Entrepreneurs &
Non-Profits Through Consulting, Coaching & Teaching
Carolyn West-Price Touhey founded SmartBiz Strategy in the Comox Valley region of Vancouver Island in 2006. In addition to her consulting work with Canadian clients, Carolyn continues to assist US clients through IMPACT Marketing & Public Relations, the company she founded in 1990.
Carolyn founded both companies after seeing a void in the market for professional marketing consulting aimed at small businesses and professional service providers.
In addition to working with many long-term and project clients, she also teaches her entrepreneur-oriented workshops, seminars, and webinars in the US and Canada.
Prior to moving to Canada, Carolyn was:
- a member of the practitioner faculty at Johns Hopkins University School of Professional Studies in Business & Education, Graduate Division (2000-2006)
- a member of the adjunct faculty at Loyola University in Baltimore (1990-1998)
- columnist for the Howard County Business Monthly and frequent contributor to other local business papers and trade publications—publishing hundreds of articles on small-business marketing
- a member of the Public Relations Society of America and The American Marketing Association
She is also the recipient of various BUSINESS AWARDS, including:
- Enterprising Women Magazine—Runner Up (only one of three in Canada) (2011)
- Business of the Year, Comox Valley Home-Based Business Association (2010)
- Women In Business Advocate of the Year , Small Business Administration award for the State of Maryland (2000)
- Equal Business Opportunity award for Individual Achievement (1990) for Howard County, Maryland
- Volunteer of the Year award from the Business Women's Network (1999)
- Maryland's Top 100 Women (1996)
- Trainer/Education Advocate of the Year , Small Business Administration award for the State of Maryland (1994)
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year --Runner Up--Small Business Administration award for the State of Maryland (1993)
Carolyn earned her MBA from Loyola College, where she also earned her BBA in marketing with honors.
She is active in the Comox Valley Chamber of Commerce and serves as a board member for the Comox Valley Home-Based & Small Business Association.
In addition to assisting business owners through her SmartBiz work, Carolyn and her husband, Steve, built and manage the day-to-day operations of Two Eagles Lodge, an award- winning bed and breakfast and event venue. In just a few short years, the B&B has built quite the reputation that has earned it the following awards:
- 2012, 2011 "Certificates of Excellence--TRIP ADVISOR"
- 2012 Environmental Excellence & MERIT Awards (Comox Valley Home-Based Business Association)
- 2011 Vancouver Island Business Excellence Award -"Hospitality/Tourism Business of the Year"
- 2010 Vancouver Island Better Business Bureau's Torch Award for the hospitality industry
- 2011 Vancouver Island Better Business Bureau's Torch Award for the hospitality/tourism industry
- 2011 Comox Valley Ambassador of the Year (Comox Valley Home-Based Business Association)
Her hobbies include entertaining, spending time with her horses, scuba, boating, kayaking, skiing, spending time exploring the back roads by Jeep, hearing live music, and spending time with friends.